From May 31st to June 4th, the Buffalo Branch of the American Association of University Women held their book sale in a huge empty storefront in Amherst, NY. There were two rooms full of books, DVDS, puzzles and more.
I visited on the last day of the sale, when most of the books in both rooms were eligible for the $5 bag sale. To be honest I got most of my books in the “New/Collectible/Rare” section of the sale which were individually priced, but still super cheap. In all I ended up with 15 books and one The Simpsons comic book for my dad, and it only cost me about $17.
Book sales like these make starting your own book collection feasible for more than just the wealthy and the upper-middle class. For the price of just one new novel I got 16 new pieces of reading material, including some new editions and hardcovers.
Check out my haul, below:
1. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson
2. The King of Torts by John Grisham
I own a lot of John Grisham books, but until I visited this sale The King of Torts wasn’t one of them.
3. The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. JK Rowling)
JK Rowling is an auto-buy author for me. I don’t own all of her books yet, but I intend to slowly build my collection up until I do.
4 & 5. Labyrinth and Sepulchre by Kate Mosse
6. A House for Happy Mothers by Amulya Malladi
7. The Fear Index by Robert Harris
The dust jacket on this book has textural elements! So fun!
8. Still Here by Lara Vapnyar
9. Bobcat and other stories by Rebecca Lee
Young Adult/Children’s Literature
10. Circus ABC by Kathryn Jackson
A vintage picture book, I snapped this one up to use during “Circus Week” with my kids at the after school program.
11. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
12. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
A good, creepy book I enjoyed when I first read it in high school. I look forward to reading The Lovely Bones again.
Nonfiction (a.k.a. proof that I’m a bit of a history nerd)
13. A Little History of Literature by John Sutherland
This is the first book I’ve peeked at from among my AAUW book sale haul. It looks pretty great!
14. Nature’s God: The Heretical Origins of the American Republic by Matthew Stewart
15. Our Declaration: A Reading of the Declaration of Independence in Defense of Equality by Danielle Allen
What do you think of my haul? Have you read any of these books? If so, what did you think? Let’s talk books.